Spurred by how I (surprisingly) have not written about this as well as the angry actions of such creatures in Game of Thrones in the last few episodes, I think it's time I write about a topic I know a fair good amount about.
Cue the giant wingbeats!
- - - -
Like always, I start this off with some music to fit the topic:
Long before The Elder Scrolls video game franchise and George R.R. Martin wrote about our favorite Targaryan who has claim to the last three of her house's signature beast, dragons were already the well-established lords of high fantasy when it comes to mythical creatures. Traditionally shown as fearsom fire-breathing monsters born of nightmares and the bane to most fictional lands, the dragon has come to be almost larger then it's own massive legend.
But, what most don't realize or fail to remember for that matter, is that there's more then one type of dragon. And it's pretty surprising the number of types there are.
What the general public who doesn't know any better likes to think of a "dragon" is actually the Western version of it. This is your everyday, garden-variety description of what we see today: a winged creature covered in diamond hard scales, four legs, a tail, horns and belching smoke and fire. He normally guards a stockpile of gold and other valuables, plagues villages and in some cases, likes to partake in riddles. Your archetype idea of a dragon can be seen in Smaug the Magnificent from J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit as well as Malificent's dragon form in the Disney film Sleeping Beauty. He's big, imposing, and unless you are rather good with a sword or manage to sneak away out of his view, there is a slim chance you are going to be getting away from him alive. The addition of a skilled wizard is a great help, though.
However, one has to tred carefully in the shadow of a Western dragon. In this type there are even sub-types of dragons. Let's go exploring for the cousins, shall we?
Niddhoggr was also supposed to be one of the beasts unleashed during the End of the World but perhaps I shall write on that myth another time....
Hydra Now I don't know about you but the Hydra in Disney's take on Hercules scared me out of my mind the first time I saw that thing in theaters. I'm pretty sure it was the unsettling CGI in an animated feature. The Hydra in itself is already pretty scary: it's specific to Greek mythology and is a dragon or dragon-like beast who has the ability to regrow two heads for each one cut off. Slain by the hero Hercules (duh!), it was one of his many tasks in order to become a god.
And those are just the ones off the top of my head.
You can find dragons everywhere though, in their Western format. Game of Thrones features three by the names of Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal as well as the sigil of House Targaryan (specifically a Hydra), the classic epic Beowulf (terrible movie though, trust me) and everywhere in between. The books of the Inheritance series use dragons as companions for their Riders, but they're still dangerous to begin with. Even Falkor the Luck Dragon, in The Neverending Story is by all means a Western-based dragons. Video games like The Elder Scrolls, Oblivion and Dragon's Dogma have them and HOW can I not mention everyone's dice-based tabletop game Dungeons and Dragons? I'd have to role a d20 to save myself from the damage I'd take!
Dragons seem to pop up everywhere, though, and not just in Europe. The Celts also had dragons in the usage and designing of their intricate knotwork and art, which often depicted dragons. The Vikings as well drew them quite often. While they are more commonplace in the lore of that continent, they also from time to time appear in the Americas as well.
In North America, the legends of the Dragon are few and far between. It's not generally known if the Native Americans of the country had legends of a dragon-like creature but there is one story which does lead to a small belief that they may: the beast is known as the Piasa Bird.
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources
A Native American creation, the Piasa Bird has little information on the whereabouts of it's mythology. A picture of this hideous and ferocious beast was found on the cliff bluffs in Alton, Illinoise by explorers. The legend of the Piasa says that it "swooped across the beach and carried one away. From that moment on, the Illini were terrorized by this incredible and blood-thirsty monster." . He's still there on the bluffs, preserved for everyone to see: personally I don't think I'd like to encounter him for myself.
You aren't going to see four-legged fire spitting monsters here. Dragons in this region have no legs, no fire powers and are covered in feathers. They moreso resemble giant carnivorous birds, for that matter. With how they are surrounded by birds like the Harpy Eagle, one of the larger birds of prey in the world, perhaps it is only natural they thought of their dragons to resemble these flying predators.
- - - - - -
You'd think I'm done with the subject of dragons, don't you.
Wrong! Next time in the blog, we cross the lands far and wide and head to Asia and other ports unknown for their own interpretations of the popular dragon myth and legend.
No comments:
Post a Comment